Caused by champagne / white wine13 messages in this subject.
|I went on holiday to Italy, the prosecco region. Me and my partnwr both drank Prosecco every day like water. The last day of our holiday I couldn't speak or move my tongue. Underneath my tongue I found 5 big ulcers taking over my mouth. My glands were so swollen and I felt ill.|
It is 5 days later now and my ulcers are still growing and glands are still somewhat swollen. I will probably go to the doctors in a few days if it's not better. Ulcer gel helps for 5 min but then I'm back in pain again. Anyone any suggestions?
|Calypso 6 September 17|
|So it is definitely the fruit guys. Pineapple, Oranges especially and too much White wine. As mentioned pears, melons and banana's are all fine.|
|SArah 14 October 15|
|I have been drinking wine for a number of years...mostly white and the odd time blush. Over the last couple of months noticed I kept getting cankers. I stopped drinking it for a while and then tried a couple of glasses within a couple of hours sore mouth again. I did try a red homemade wine the other night and it didn't bother me. I have now decided white and blush do not like me!|
|Bonnie 21 January 15|
|I have the problem with pineapple, melon, red wine and some hot drinks.. my mouth looks almost burned - hate this feeling -- am I allergic to acid ? what type of dr do you go to? went to dentist who said he never seen anything like this ? I'm goinig nuts with this --- red sauce also causes irratation|
|allie2024 21 January 15|
|I get canker sores from some red wines. I'm trying to figure out what about thses wines does it. I stay away from white wines and pinapple too. Lack of sleep or stress makes me more suseptable to canker sores too.|
|CGCar 9 December 13|
|I too get a real sore ...like canker sore on the roof of my mouth and my mouth hurts as does the sides of my nose and even sinus and eyes...I feel like I have to sneeze and sometimes do and sometimes not and that feels awful..I am starting to think it is champagne or white wine even the organic ones...red wine seems fine...if I increase acidic fruits that too seems to bring it on...lately I have been jucing again and that horrible pain and feeling is coming back...time to figure this out ...even my throat gets sore and swollen glands...feels like an allergic reaction more than anything else and doctors have tested me ...mri..xrays...etc and can't seem to figure it out?|
|Dana 24 August 12|
|I was able to drink champagne and white wine without getting canker sores until just a few months ago. I don't know what changed in my body to make me suddenly react this way, but my husband and I were on a cruise and drinking wine and champagne every day. By the time we got home, I could barely speak my mouth was so painful. Since the problem seems to be related to the acid in white wine, I'm going to try brushing my teeth with baking soda after having wine to see if this will affect the PH balance in my mouth and prevent canker sores in the future.|
|Chris 11 August 12|
I happened to take champagne for the first time with warm water and to my horror i got bad mouth ulcers and its bull shit ........and the worst part is it doesnt go away as it goes when it comes normally.cant eat or drink anything....wat am i to do..sitting with crossed fingers.......
|shal 25 June 12|
|Dear Meokk, |
Like you I have no problem with red wine only white and as Liz suggests, the cheaper the white wine, the worse the mouth ulcers. However, I find I am OK with Champagne. Some champagne is made using only red grapes Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier (so called blanc de noir - white from black) Avoid the champagnes made with a high percentage of chardonnay, white grapes (blanc de blanc).
|Jane 27 April 11|
I asked the doctor as to why some of us get allergies to fruits and he said it was because a lot of fruits are acidic, also can cause heartburn indicating that we have extra acid in our stomach which can also cause reflux ie the acid can come back into our mouths and can cause the reaction in some of us triggering canker sores or ulcers, (sad lot I am afraid). Some of the cheaper wines sirely must also have other stuff in them especially cheap wines, not to say they are not nice but some wines on the shelves are only bottled months ago. The good wines do not seem to be so acidic. Try brushing your tongue also and give it a good rinse with warm water, every little tip helps. Good luck for a speedy recovery - if any!
|Liz 27 September 10|
do you know if there is anything common to the fruits that are triggers for you?
I'm using SLS free toothpaste and so far only white wines cause ulcers for me.
I can drink red without any reaction. Fingers crossed it will stay that way.
Anyone else out there triggered by wine or fruit?
|Meokk 22 September 10|
I have been saying to folk for almost 2 years on this excellent site for us sad folk with mouth problems that all citrus fruits for me and others are a trigger of the most awful canker sore ulcers that anyone could imagine and soo--ooo ...painful (inside cheek) so raw!! and I discovered only by the other inputs to this site that perhaps my ulcers were caused by allergy to anything citrus like tomatoes, oranges, red peppers, (orange juice) pineapple and of course the stuff we all like - WINE) - however after a dentist's advice I eliminated all this stuff,It was hard to begin with but I cut it all out as pears,melons, bananas and other furits are available - it was so amazing that quickly I had an ulcer free mouth, I also took advice from this site and used a toothpaste without Sodium Laurle Sulphate which is also an irritant to ulcer sufferers, why not try elimination, no need to be teetotal, try white spirits like gin and tonic, or vodka which is not made with grapes (not brandy) and hope anyone out there tries as the pain of ulcers is just not worth it !!!
|Liz 18 September 10|
I started to get the outrageously painful, under/side of tongue ulcers in January of this year.
Like many of you, my outbreaks are debilitating. Unable to speak or eat without medication.
Coincidentally I have been dieting for several months and so am logging everything I eat and drink in an online database. I have also been marking the calendar when I get canker sores.
To my huge distress - I only and always get sores one day after consuming champagne or white wine.
I have been drinking both for 15 years without any reaction until January 2010.
Red wine has no effect.
Any body else out there have the same cause or know what in the drinks may be the culprit?
|Meokk 16 September 10|
Caused by champagne / white wine13 messages in this subject.